JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
pixisticks (Offline)
New to JF

Angry U.S.A. three prong to two-prong Japanese adapters? - 08-17-2009, 10:35 PM

Hi everyone! Sorry to bother you again, but I'm getting really frustrated and I need some help. I'm from Las Vegas, going to be studying abroad in Tokyo starting from September, so I got an adapter for some of my stuff to use over there. However, the one I got is weak and says not to be used with things like computers, DVD players, etc. (it's mostly for hair dryers and irons, I assume). I need an adapter for my Dell laptop (I have a three-pronged power cord with it), but I can't seem to find any anywhere. I can find plenty of two-prong to two-prong adapters, but for some reason, I can't find any that can be used with my laptop.

I've gone to Walmart and Radioshack so far, and no luck with either. So if anyone can send me some links on where to look (I've looked online at Best Buy's and Fry's, but no luck with them either), that would be wonderful. I don't think I'm searching properly, since everyone else seems to have no problem finding them (though nobody I've asked has actually pointed me in the right direction. Argh!)

Thanks!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JayT (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-17-2009, 10:40 PM

Just get one there... They're so easily obtainable in Japan...
Amazon and Google are your friend too you know...

[<--Nan's heart!]

(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Have you considered a two-prong power cord?

Dell Two prong power cord - Google Product Search
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-17-2009, 11:51 PM

Most electronic products are compatible with Japanese electricity. On the product itself, or on the power supply unit it should have a rating.
Usually, it`s something like this;
Input: AC100-240V ~ 50-60Hz
The US is 110 or 120 (I forget which and a search turned up both as correct...?) ~ 60 . Japan is 100 ~ 50/60.
If what you have lists 100 to 200 something - then it`s safe to use as is in Japan. If it is 110 or 120 to something, or just that alone, then it is not and you`ll need an adapter.

I`m going to take a guess that your laptop power supply unit is going to support Japanese electricity. I have never seen one that doesn`t. The big differences come between the US/Japan and Europe... But between the US and Japan, I have yet to encounter anything worthwhile that doesn`t support the other`s electricity. (After a bunch of digging around, I found only ONE item that was Japan only in my room. A cheapy little decorative light...)

If the PSU says that it works with 100V 50/60Hz - then all you need is one of those sold-anywhere 3 prong to 2 prong adapters. If that even. About half the outlets in my house are 3 pronged.
If you do need a 3 to 2, they`re available pretty much everywhere in Japan too.

Checking all the power requirements on your stuff can save a huge amount of money on adapters. The ones made to actually manage the electricity are very expensive... A waste if your stuff is already made to support it, and all you need is a $1.99 plug adapter.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RadioKid (Offline)
Native Japanese

Send a message via Yahoo to RadioKid
08-18-2009, 01:07 AM

We need 3p-2p adapters to use US devices in Japan sometimes shown below.

Language makes Culture and Culture makes Language.

Links to Japan forum Tips :
1) How to remove spam massages on you screen
2) How to post Youtube movies or Pictures

... and
Ask professional translator for your business work. You can not get useful business resources for free.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

08-18-2009, 01:07 AM

When you get to Japan, just go to a Bic Camera or Yamada Denki... they're everywhere, and they carry 3-pronged adapters.

郷に入っては郷に従え