(#356 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takushimazu View Post
In my case, how much do you know about spousal visa? Would I be able to work with a spousal visa? ( In England the spouse can work to support the family, is Japanese spousal visa the same? )
I`m not Jason, who you asked for this info, but I`m actually on a spousal visa....

You have all rights to work and do as you please. There are no restrictions on a spousal visa. The only thing you CAN`T do are things that directly require citizenship, such as voting or holding public office, etc.

Quote:
I know you will probably think "you just posted all of the information you need!" but there are some bits I really don't understand, like it doesn't say if I will be able to work there and if there are any limits on career path?
You would be able to work any job you like.
However, if you`re not the top earner in the household, you may not want to be recognized as "head of household". If you are the head of household, you would be the one officially responsible for supporting the home. If you aren`t making much or are incapable of doing so, it would be best not to take that role.

Quote:
And "sufficient funds to settle in Japan" how much exactly is "sufficient"??
9 times out of 10, they require 600,000 yen on hand, and access to 1,200,000 more. HOWEVER, that only applies if you`re going to be the head of household. If you`re not, you would fall under the supported category and not need any at all - It really depends upon your spouse and your guarantor. It DOESN`T have to be your spouse. My husband is mine now, but when we first were married his father wrote the "letter of guarantee". All they want is proof that either YOU can support yourself, or that someone else will support you in Japan. That someone else can be anyone as long as they are Japanese, and make enough money.

Quote:
Also! What happens after the "3 years or 1 year"? Would I have to go back to England??
No, you just take your passport to the immigration office, fill out a renewal form, and in about a month you get your brand new visa - which will either last for 1 or 3 years. The length is more so they can check up on you - if you`re no longer married then you obviously should no longer be in Japan. If you`re still happily married, all you need to do is show them proof of that, and pay a fee, and you have a shiny new visa.
I had three or four 1 year visas in a row before they gave me a 3 year one. The younger you are, it seems the less they take you seriously and the longer it takes before they`re willing to give you a 3 year visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.