View Single Post
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-27-2006, 05:06 AM

Jason gives a lot of good answers on the teaching side, which I really don`t know too much about. I`ll try to answer from the normal-everday-life side.

Quote:
How many foreigners do you encounter on a daily basis? And of what nationality are they usually?
Very rarely. I really would only say I "encounter" foreigners around once a week at the most - if just seeing them walking on the street as I drive by, or walking past them at the store counts. If you mean actually encounter as in speak to, etc... Well, then maybe once every 6 months or so. I have no idea the most common nationality would be, but if I had to guess, I`d say I encounter more Brazilians than any other nationality.

Quote:
Also do you have alot of foreign friends? (and do they speak Japanese?)
No. I only have one single non-Japanese friend, who is completely fluent in Japanese and in a very similar situation to mine. All of my other friends are Japanese. I`m sure if I tried, I could meet more foreigners, but it isn`t really a necessity. Also, my husband speaks virtually no English, so it would be a really uncomfortable situation to try and "mix". I`d also like to avoid the English bubble that seems to develop around groups of foreigners.

Quote:
Which do you think is the best city to start off in? Or live and work in once you're settled?
I would say that is totally up to your personal preferences, and what it is you want to do. I just don`t think Tokyo is a good option... ever. I personally love the Nagoya area, and wouldn`t choose to live anywhere else. But of course, that`s me, so I can`t say where would be best for you.

Quote:
I also read you can get free Japanese classes once you're there. I think that would help alot (even if I spoke abit of Japanese once I get there)
As Jason said, they are offered by most community centers, and in larger cities you will find volunteer groups offering them. There are tons around here and I imagine it would be the same in any larger city.

Quote:
Concerning jobs. This might sound weird, but would someone turn me down for a job just because of me being a foreigner? (even if I speak/read/write fluent Japanese?) Have either of you ever experienced this?
I have never experienced this, but I also haven`t applied for that many jobs. From what I have seen, *if* your Japanese is at a close to native level there should be no problem. Of course, if your Japanese is awful when you apply they definitely won`t even consider you. Before you apply for any serious position, you should have the JLPT 1. The JLPT 2 doesn`t mean anything in a business situation, but might help you get a lower level job, ie. manual labor, etc.