View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Kuroneko (Offline)
JF Vet.

11-06-2007, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
There are so many posts asking for "translation to romaji" and I am kind of wondering all your feelings on this.

I basically come here to lend a hand to legit people who are trying to learn Japanese, and understand we have all levels of learners, more beginners than advanced, but that is OK.

But I am started to feel aprehensive about translating or helping into romaji. Something about it seems...well, unhelpful. Japanese people don't use romaji to write Japanese (except in commercials, shop signs, etc.) so I am questioning if it is a good idea here...and that's why I am soliciting your opinions.

ロマジで教えてもいいですかね、それか、ちゃんとひら がな(プラス漢字)でした方が助かるんですかね。

よろしく。
Well sometimes it's ok... but not when someone really want to learn the language. Its more destructive then constructive. But for people who don't real intend to learn the language is not really hurting them.. becasue (as I see it) its something that they can't/won't comprehend.... But I feel that if someone really has there hearts set on Japanese. I use hiragana... though though text thats harder then when you sit down with someone and teach them...

One other advantage to romaji, is when you have a text based format that cant decode Japanese (Yahoo, G-mail, etc.) My friends and myself can't use any kana or kanji when emailing. other wise it ends up all gibberish. So we have use romaji...

well thats my thoughts any how..

"To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering, one must not love. But then, one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer."