View Single Post
(#759 (permalink))
Old
Alastor (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Final Fantasy - 11-25-2007, 07:43 PM

A few days ago, the fourth expansion to Final Fantasy XI: Online was released. Wings of the Goddess contains additional endgame content, and introduces a third form of large-scale battle. The updates that followed it allows players to have party members inside their moghouse, regardless of whether any of the players has purchased, installed and/ord registered the expansion.

It also introduces two new jobs, the Scholar (SCH) and the Dancer (DNC). The Scholar will be similar to a hybrid between the White Mage and the Black Mage, although the Scholar will later gain some of its own spells. The dancer acts as a front-line healer; its various dances will benefit the party while potentially striking at its foes. Both classes present new ways to play the game, and have been seen as useful in parties.

Finally, the really large content to the expansion is the option to - for those who are able - travel back twenty years in time, to the Crystal War era. You will get to revisit some places that will be familiar yet feel different. While the amount of quests and missions isn't very large, this will most likely change in the near future.

Aside from the expansion, there has been some adjustments. The Puppet Master, previously considered a weak job, has now improved and become quite a versatile job. The Red Mage has been subject to change, and will now be able to be more front-line than previously. Two-handed weapons have been adjusted; for those of you who enjoyed the changes made last time, you will notice that these weapons deal less damage than before. The option to play in windowed mode as opposed to full-screen has now ben implemented (accessed through Start -> Programs -> PlayOnline -> FINAL FANTASY XI -> FINAL FANTASY XI Config).

/end rant. Who's still into this rather old and outdated MMORPG? I'm playing it, rather fresh to the game but familiar to it in some ways as I played it for a month last year. I haven't purchased Wings of the Goddess because no store in my town sells it. Also, there has been heavy complaints about not being able to register it because of server overloads, although plenty of Japanese people have done so successfully.

For those of you who're familiar with the game, places like La Theine Plateau and Valkurm Dunes are smacked with Scholars and Dancers. While I admit that Dancers are great in your party, There's serious shortage of other jobs. Heavy damage-dealing classes like Dragoon and Samurai and Black Mage comes to mind, and good support/healing classes like Red Mage, White Mage and Bard.

I really just wanted to voke some activity about FFXI. Just wanted to see who's playing it and who among you used to play it, or are planning to play it. I personally hate this period - being a Level 16 myself, I dislike having trouble finding a party, and seeing the common money income methods completely ruined (crystals these days hardly sell for above 1000 gil - just today, I sold a stack of Earth Crystals for 400 gil. Last year I sould a similar stack for sometimes thrice that sum). Rather, I've now resorted to farming for rabbit hides, wild onions and pots of honey.

But this game still rocks! Although it lacks seriously in some aspects as a game, its online community is splendid. I love it. Who's enjoying Vana'diel the way I am?

Last edited by Alastor : 11-26-2007 at 07:17 AM.