View Single Post
(#765 (permalink))
Old
Wyverian (Offline)
The Truly Insane One

Send a message via ICQ to Wyverian Send a message via AIM to Wyverian Send a message via MSN to Wyverian Send a message via Yahoo to Wyverian Send a message via Skype™ to Wyverian
11-26-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
The thing about most people is that they see games as progression through character growth (stat growth). As we all know, most Final Fantasy games are strict throughout most of the game, and only gives you plenty of freedom once you reach endgame. Sadly, this applies to Final Fantasy XI as well.

I'm in a Linkshell, and without it I would never play the game. Talking with other people is a must. Although some people do like to grind stuff and just get better equipment and things like that (I for one, love it), but if that's the only thing you can do in a game, then the game fails (see Monster Hunter(s)).

Most people play MMO's and forget that it's an MMORPG. Ideally, people should spend as much time farming/grinding/questing as roleplaying, but they don't, which is an awful shame.

Final Fantasy XII works the same way to me. All I did was grind for LP and gil and exp and tried to take on one Mark after another. I didn't care about the story, and all story progression was purely to obtain more items and equipments, and to gain access to other Marks.

The game doesn't really pick up until your reach Level 18, and doesn't start becoming really fun until you're past rank 3-5 and/or have reached Level 30. I don't feel that the game's sucking up all my time. Sure, I have to dedicate a few hours a day for it, but I do that with every game I play, and I always play only one game at a time ^_^ I mean, I was waay more addicted to FFXII than FFXI. So addicted I actually had to stop playing it.
I am half asleep so this is going to be worse then what it should be, but thats not my problem now is it.

First off I would like to point out that saying Monster Hunter is a failure is hardly close to the truth. They have both the number 1 and 2 spots for best PSP game and are also huge and I mean huge hits in Japan.

I never had a problem with the game being to 'strict' I was only level 41 and I still had crap tons of freedom. Then again I was very well known on my server, I was named Best Dark Knight for my level, so I could call upon level 75's and the like to protect my buns as I went placing I shouldn't be for many more levels. (I was also Rank 5ish or whatever rank you get the Airship Pass)

I have never ever played a Final Fantasy game for just collection I have always played them for the beautiful stories that they tell. But thats your style and I won't diss it.

Now as for it getting fun around level 18 I have to disagree, it starts when you can get your soggy butt to Valkrum Dunes which is level 10ish, which only takes 2-3 hours if you know what you are doing.

To date this has been the only game I have been truly addicted to, so much so that it was to the point I would fall asleep playing it and my fingers would still be trying to play the game.