View Single Post
(#767 (permalink))
Old
Wyverian (Offline)
The Truly Insane One

Send a message via ICQ to Wyverian Send a message via AIM to Wyverian Send a message via MSN to Wyverian Send a message via Yahoo to Wyverian Send a message via Skype™ to Wyverian
11-26-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
I'll try to keep this short. I played MH on the PS2, offline. I mentioned it because I was comparing a repetitive levelling experience at Valkurm Dunes to playing Monster Hunter offline, and even then, Monster Hunter is more fun because there is no auto-attack ^_^. Do NOT get me wrong. I loved MH, but offline, it didn't last as long as I would have hoped. I used the word failure. It was a mistake. But I was referring to the repetitive nature of the game to compare it to the repetitiveness of farming/grinding/questing in MMO's in general.

I would suppose the FFXI experience varies, but generally, new people will not know too many people, nor will they end up in an awesome Linkshell. Level 1-10 will not take a mere 2-3 hours bcause they will NOT know what they're doing - especially if they're starting as a white or black mage. At level 18, however, you can finish the quest that will enable you to select support jobs which is quite fascinating, and at level 30, you might even be closing in on rank 5's airship pass. You'll be able to unlock the 14 different advanced jobs available. This is when the game becomes generally REALLY fun. This is a concept that holds true for ALL main-series Final Fantasy games . The only difference is that other Final Fantasy games present to you a continuous storyline you don't stray too far away from. See how Final Fantasy 1-10 starts. See how Final Fantasy 11 starts. There is a difference - the lack of a solid story.

Finally, I stated that I played FFXII for the Marks rather than the story. FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, FFX and FFX-2 were all played for fun gameplay and story. FFXII just didn't suit my tastes, but it presented with something that I found was even moer compelling. I loved playing it. That's how I prefer my games. Fun and lasting gameplay first and foremost. Everything else is just there to enhance the feeling and give it more depth, so to speak.

I hope I didn't miss anything, or that I offended any MH gamers. I don't dislike the game, please, I just think that, as an aspiring game designer, they took an awesome concept and didn't bother to give it more diversity.

Let's not get off-topic now please
I won't get off topic other then say I as a Professional Gamer disagree with you when it comes to Monster Hunter offline.

I only ever had one character I never even had a mule, so the whole doesn't take a mere two hours isn't exactly true. Then again I am an extremely quick study of a games mechanics, so maybe I am just an isolated case. I never even had a Linkshell till I was Level 15ish as a Dark Knight and then I was part of The Kitty Goddess's Shell. (From what I could tell the most famous Mithra on the server)

I will admit I started out as a Warrior, so maybe I did have an easier time then a White Mage or Black Mage. But as soon as I started playing I was making allies. Ahhh... Oljick (Tarutaru BM), Drewhenneberry (Hume Monk), Drewssmom (Mithra RM), Nakiko (Hume BM), Emelyne (Hume Monk), and of course Darkzero (Hume Drk).

I remember when I got my sub, I subbed Thief instead of Monk to make myself different from the other Warriors. I also remember my run to level 30 in level 17 armor <.< I was so poor back then. >.<

Now don't get me wrong I am not saying levels 18 and 30 aren't exciting because they are, its just every level can be exciting. I loved Valkrum never say anything bad about Valkrum again... Kazham and the Citadel however are nightmares.