View Single Post
(#158 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

01-10-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzirra View Post
Though his personal style could be very much percieved as goth, his music sounds far from what alot of goth music supposed to.
Usually a goth band has a very large number of members, their sounds are very melodic, most have female singers (who have operatic trained voices) accompanied by growlers and male vocalists.

One of my favorite bands is 'Sins of thy beloved', their song "Forever". You can go check it out on youtube i'm sure, but you will see the large contrast between Marilyns style and Gothic style music.
Also check "Theatre Of Tragedy ".
(for those who are interested and reading this post)
Thank you, I do know gothic music since I am a goth myself. And female singers are mostly seen in gothic metal bands, and also symphonic metal, underground gothic rock and darkwave bands have much male singers in deep voices and doesn't need more than four members like most bands to sound good.

Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic, but that depends on the band itself mostly, of course. Nightwish is the perfect example for setting up the symphonic metal genre (and also adding to the gothic metal) and many gothic metal bands are very inspired by the opera voice of Tarja. For more bands in the gothic subculture you should check out Bauhaus (said to be the first gothic band), Siouxsie And The Banshees, Inkubus Sukkubus, The Crüxshadows and Bella Morte. If you listen to more gothic rock and darkwave with male singers, you'll see it can be pretty similar to some of Manson's songs.

Anyway, it's a question of taste, and everyone to their own.

Last edited by SovereignEvil : 01-10-2008 at 06:35 PM.