View Single Post
(#164 (permalink))
Old
Godzirra (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereignEvil View Post
Thank you, I do know gothic music since I am a goth myself. And female singers are mostly seen in gothic metal bands, and also symphonic metal, underground gothic rock and darkwave bands have much male singers in deep voices and doesn't need more than four members like most bands to sound good.

Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic, but that depends on the band itself mostly, of course. Nightwish is the perfect example for setting up the symphonic metal genre (and also adding to the gothic metal) and many gothic metal bands are very inspired by the opera voice of Tarja. For more bands in the gothic subculture you should check out Bauhaus (said to be the first gothic band), Siouxsie And The Banshees, Inkubus Sukkubus, The Crüxshadows and Bella Morte. If you listen to more gothic rock and darkwave with male singers, you'll see it can be pretty similar to some of Manson's songs.

Anyway, it's a question of taste, and everyone to their own.
I am quite enlightened by your knowledge on music, it's quite refreshing actually. My husband got me into goth and metal, i wasn't really much into music at all. My husband grew up during the development of Goth (he's 19yrs older then me and is also still stuck int he 80's haha), i get most of my info from what he has shared (he's also goth) in the past, and what i have learned so far.

Night wish was awesome, but lately their albums have done nothing for my taste. I love the voice of Tarja, but i didn't like her solo album, but i still listened to it just for her voice. The new female vocalist in Night wish has a nice voice, but it really just isn't the same.

Most of the bands you listed, are not quite my taste, and some i wouldn't consider as goth. I still don't see the similarities with Marilyns.It's hard though to fully categorize certain sounds anymore because of so many sub's. I think that it comes down to perception then what the style really is. In some europian countries, what we see as goth is their pop music.

I myself am more of a powermetal head. Some peoples Europian Trash is my Treasure.

I just wanted to mention that your statement about "Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic,"

You kind of contradicted yourself with saying that they were gothic/doom but then claimed they were more metal then gothic.
Could you clarify this for me, thankzzzz ZZtop.