View Single Post
(#166 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

01-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzirra View Post
I am quite enlightened by your knowledge on music, it's quite refreshing actually. My husband got me into goth and metal, i wasn't really much into music at all. My husband grew up during the development of Goth (he's 19yrs older then me and is also still stuck int he 80's haha), i get most of my info from what he has shared (he's also goth) in the past, and what i have learned so far.

Night wish was awesome, but lately their albums have done nothing for my taste. I love the voice of Tarja, but i didn't like her solo album, but i still listened to it just for her voice. The new female vocalist in Night wish has a nice voice, but it really just isn't the same.

Most of the bands you listed, are not quite my taste, and some i wouldn't consider as goth. I still don't see the similarities with Marilyns.It's hard though to fully categorize certain sounds anymore because of so many sub's. I think that it comes down to perception then what the style really is. In some europian countries, what we see as goth is their pop music.

I myself am more of a powermetal head. Some peoples Europian Trash is my Treasure.

I just wanted to mention that your statement about "Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic,"

You kind of contradicted yourself with saying that they were gothic/doom but then claimed they were more metal then gothic.
Could you clarify this for me, thankzzzz ZZtop.
When I say goth I'm talking about the underground subculture, and my point is that gothic metal is a subgenre of metal, not a subgenre of goth, but whether the band is gothic or metal depends on the band's image of course. Nightwish, for an example, is a metal band, while Moi dix Mois (since this is a Japan forum) is more goth. Look at Nightwish and you'll see they don't act or dress as goths, while Moi dix Mois does, therefore Moi dix Mois is gothic and not metal. I know it's confusing. xD

I shouldn't have said that they were more a part of the metal culture, my apologies. If the band dress and act as goths, then they're gothic, if they act otherwise they're metal, that's my point.

If you want to see something gothic that (kinda) sounds like Manson, check out Michelle Darkness' latest (and first) album, Brand New Drug. Here's a video on one of the songs: YouTube - MICHELLE DARKNESS - Pet Sematary (2007)
Now that's goth as it should be in my opinion.

Also, you mentioned some of the bands I posted you didn't consider gothic. Well, whether or not they dress gothic, gothic rock and darkwave is a part of gothic culture, so that automatically makes them gothic.

Of course, EBM and other electronic music also has it's part in gothic culture, but more to the cyber and cyber gothic culture.

I'm only 17 years old, I weren't there in the 80's, and I have only been a goth for 2 years, but I study deep, and draw my own logical conclusions, so I know pretty much anyway.

In music, I go for anything that sounds good, whether it's goth or not. I love Nightwish, I love their new album and vocalist, I even listen to Metallica, Megadeth, Blink 182 and, Hell, I even enjoy listening to Everytime We Touch by Cascada. xD
But gothic music is what attracts me the most.

Last edited by SovereignEvil : 01-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.