View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-20-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty View Post
America emerged from WWII looking virtually untouched and undefeatable. The sense of American superiority was everywhere since, of all the major powers, it alone maintained a vast and intact industrial base. America shone on the post WWII era and was out pacing and out producing the rest of the world because the rest of the world was to busy putting their countries back together and therefore unable to compete against this influence. Of course, with their new found success came both arrogance and envy. It was this combination of U. S. arrogance and the envy of an impossible and unsustainable standard of living that leads us to where we are now; with America being perhaps the most reviled nation on Earth but this did not happen till the mid to late 1960s. The twenty years between 1945 and 1965 will go down as the golden age of America but there sense of superiority and the will to impose their system on others (its that manifest destiny thing again) made as many allies as enemies and many allies into enemies.

But we have completely diverged from the original thread now.
I won't comment on this theory except to say I don't beleive it had anything to do with Osama Tezuka's style. We do know that Tezuka enjoyed Western comic styles, and he brought the paneled frames to Japanese visual storytelling.

I think it is VERY ambitious to think that Japanese reverance for all things American caused them to make comic characters with big eyes, and even more ambitious to suggest that American imposed their system of round-eyed characters on Japanese manga-ka.