View Single Post
(#283 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

04-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
I can't think of a pop star that uses shock to sell records... most of them conform to get popular, you know, give the people what they want, and be the typical popstar that they are expected to be. If you mean in terms of the media such as scandal and so on, these are two different things.

I was thinking of groups, protesters, like Fathers For Justice who do some pretty radical things to get noticed, also animal rights campaigners who jumped aboard the Japanese whaling boats, they were plastered all over the media, similar to Marilyn Manson when he first released music about sex, drugs and violence. I think his appearance also helped since lots of bands talked about that previously but there wasnt as much hype around them. And maybe because Manson is a bit more blatant than other artists.
Well not Shock like MM but all these people like Christina Aguilera or Nelly Furtado, who once have some kind of innocent image and then turn slutty, are using shock tactics.
It depends on the context of course. The more "underground" or non-mainstream you are, the more shock you can put into your material.
I mean have you seen that "Dirty" video by Aguilera? (Who hasn't >.>)
That is POPS version of Shocking people.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers