View Single Post
(#61 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-06-2008, 03:09 PM

WIth my parents both being from the southern U.S. and being born before the Civil Rights Act was passed, skin color has always been an issue in my world. My father's family was racist to the core, but he raised me to ignore skin colors. At least until one night I came home from a basketball game with my date (caucasian) and 4 black male friends. He was polite until they left and then there was an explosion in the house. My mother was raised in Texas and despite all her efforts to squelch her racism, when I introduced my hispanic date for the prom, she was visibly uncomfortable.

While Yuujiro's attitude has been soured, I applaud his honesty in this forum. Its much easier to post about how you try to be, than how you really are when faced with uncomfortable issues. And everyone here deserves some commendation for their civility in discussing a difficult issue without personal attacks.

Honestly, while I do not condemn anyone for their skin color, I have been guilty of racism. I have met people of almost every race and skin color that exists and there are those that over time I have learned to be wary of and those that tend to have unwarranted higher opinions of. (and some people are really surprised when I let them know which is which) Both are wrong, but both are fact. Denying the facts will prevent you from correcting them. They are learned reactions, just like everyone else's. And being learned they can be changed, but not if one's exposure to a particular race continues to reinforce the negative aspects of that race.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.