View Single Post
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-16-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Hmn. Not really. At first, yes, I was throwing my leg, about a year ago, but with practice I got control. I can now do a side kick at my head height and hold it after full thrust for about 1 second and then have to retreat it. This is from hours of practice. I saw once, Bruce Lee do the same kick I am talking about, and then hold it there for an extended time. I expect if I keep practicing the kick I will eventually be able to do the same thing. Kicking is stretching, it develops the flexability you need for that kick, and unlike stretching, you practice the technique and power and muscle you need for it at the same time. I see no need to stretch in martial arts unless you think it is good for a cool down to loosen up the muscles. But I just do a slow walk around and shake my body up for this and am fine, so...
I see.. well if you're happy with your ability then that's fine as your kicking will maintain you flexibility but it won't improve it. Personally I find high kicks are beautiful and while Asakura is correct, flexibility is but one factor in the equation, it's a factor that needs to be improved in my case nonetheless to achieve the results I want. Therefore for me stretching is important in training.