(#69 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Oh, my original beef was with warm ups, really, that is why I got into stretching. I still dont like warm ups...
Now that is something I completely understand, not an excuse to avoid it, but I always hated it too. Its a matter of patience, at least in my case. It always felt like wasting time and I wanted to get on with the meat of the exercise. But with time, and the force of an injury that had to be surgically repaired, I learned the patience to endure and even appreciate warm-ups, expecially the stretching.

Since it was leg swing you were using for stretching, its possible that the swing itself could have been part of the problem with the hamstrings. I am just giving an educated guess here because luckily I have never had problems with that group of muscles, so far all my muscle injuries have been related to the shoulders. Though you didn't really describe the hamstring problem a sudden stretch versus a gradual, steady pull on the muscle is more prone to damage. Its the reason why in callesthenics they no longer teach you to bounce when doing toe-touches or other movements that stretch cold tissue. You could have been pushing the stretch to the edge of its limit by the momentum/inertia of the swing before the the actual stretch of the muscle had warmed the area with extra blood flow.

Just my thoughts if you want to try a slow stretch with the same, but contolled arc and see how it goes.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.