View Single Post
(#156 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

06-22-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnell View Post

TKD did not originate from Karate. It has influences from Karate, but its direct parent is a Korean art form that was practiced by armies about a hundred years prior.

They type of TKD I'm talking about is type that your average soccer mom takes her five year old to; the type that teaches you the rules and techniques used by Olympic competitors without teaching you a damn thing about how to survive a lethal encounter on the street. That's the most common form of TKD you can find, at least in the States--and I'm sure in most places, also.

TKD is an Olympic event, yet they score by points for contact. Seems professional enough to me :/ . What you're talking about is whether or not the system is based around hurting the competitors or safeguarding the competitors. MT, boxing, MMA and the like are all based on a system where your goal is to beat the shit out of the other guy more effectively than he does you. Wrestling, TKD, and fencing competitions are typically point based so that you don't have to wail on the guy to get points--instead, you need finesse.

Remember that in English, the word "professional" only means "a person who is paid to perform a service". No where in any definition of "professional" are the words "expert, badass, uber1337," or "hardcore".

If something is performed competitively under controlled conditions, it's usually considered a sport. TKD is a sport art. MT is a sport art. MT is much more combative than TKD because it has been practiced under rules that require you to injure your opponent to win, hence a lot of the super-ninja things that were developed three hundred years ago to kill an opponent quickly are still present. It's still a sport art.

Insofar as competition goes, no, I haven't done a whole lot of that. However, I have trained in TKD for some time and have plenty of experience with it.

Indeed, we did use our shin. I always hated that because I couldn't feel how hard I was hitting and it made me feel like I had no control over my own power :P .

You're mistaken about the stance in TKD. Our stance was not in a straight line. In fact, ANY art that teaches you to stand with your feet in a straight line to the opponent is a REALLY BAD art. The TKD stance is very deep, which allows for larger movement and a stronger base to launch kicks from. The hips more or less face the opponent, though, as with most styles. We also trained to move from Cat Stance a lot, starting with the fourth belt.

To do the MT Thigh Kick, we did have to include a step, though. It wasn’t so much because the kick didn’t work out of that stance as it was that you get a lot more power if you include the step. The step was a V step to your outside (with your front leg) so that you would have momentum already traveling in the direction of your kick and so you could plant your foot in such a way that you wouldn’t twist your ankle around four times in the event that you missed your opponent.

[color=black]

In the sense that the art itself hasn’t been around for a whole century yet, sure . When I say “modern”, I mean the way that it is most typically taught today.

That’s an example of the sport taking over the combat. At my school, we were taught to use the blade of our foot to concentrate as much energy in as small an area as possible to deliver the most damage. The self-defense school I go to now also teaches to use the blade of the foot, but their theory is that it’s the best way to kick a person’s knee from the side because the edge of your foot can almost fit in between the bones in that joint and tear tendons without even misaligning the joint itself, or something like that :P. That foot shape wasn’t taught at my TKD school until the eighth belt, when you start learning to break boards. Up to then, the emphasis was placed on your flexibility and your speed.
Just to your first line. I believe you are referring to Hwarang Do that split up into multiple different arts. The split resulted in Taekwon Do, Hapkido and several different art.

And yes, it was more of an Influenced than a Copy.