View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
harpoondude (Offline)
New to JF

08-07-2008, 10:16 PM

Ahhhhh. Sorry, it's just that some of the grammer guides online aren't exactly... ok well they don't explain. They just tell you something and theres no real breakdown of what it is. If I paste what I read:

Quote:
"Dewa mata(ではまた)" is also often used as "see you later", similar to the English expression.

How about "See you tomorrow"? "Tomorrow" is "ashita(明日)" in Japanese. I think you can guess what the the answer is: "Mata ashita(また明日)".

I hope you can practice these greetings. I am going to tell you one more phrase, "Mata raishuu(また来週)". This means "See you next week".
In the second paragraph the writer assumed you know what he's talking about. Which I do not as he hasn't really broken it down for me. If I had just started learning, I would've just assumed 'dewa mata' was the way it was always said. It's just because I noticed the word in 'is not' as you said.

I assumed that because only 2 words were being used. I figured it was translating as 'tomorrow we meet' 'next week we meet' 'later we meet'. Thanks for the help!

Looks like I need a better resource rofl. Happen to know any GOOD japanese website?

Edit: Why is the hiragana for 'ha'(は) used instaid of 'wa'(わ) in 'ではありません'. Sorry, I'm a little bit confused by all of this. And learning the kana is meant to be easier than the language lol.

Last edited by harpoondude : 08-07-2008 at 10:23 PM.