View Single Post
(#18 (permalink))
Old
SakanaMidori (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to SakanaMidori Send a message via Skype™ to SakanaMidori
11-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Yeah, I had to teach myself.
It was by luck that I chose to start with hiragana(I just thought it looked cool and old fashioned), and I just rewrote it again and again, and eventually I memorized it. I had decided to just screw Kanji, I mean, there's furigana(that's what it's called, right? The stuff above Kanji) right? Wrong! But I procrastinated, and learned katakana. I like it a lot, it looks so...high-tech! And people don't believe that I can write in Japanese until I use A) Kanji or B) Katakana. So sad hiragana, my absolute favorite, isn't even recognized by ignorant American children. Anyhoo, now I'm currently learning kanji, and I regret not starting from the get-go. I love the way Kanji looks in a sentence.

Speaking of which, I have a fun anecdote to share!
Once upon a time, I doodled on my chemistry desk. It's black and in the black, so you can only see my pencil writing from that desk, maybe the next one over. And I wrote "baka" in hiragana, erased it, rewrote it in katakana, and doodled some more, and erased all but "baka" (I did the same thing at our rival HS by writing it on the board mwahaha!). A few days later, I was taking a test in chemistry..and wrote "baka na" on the desk. After I finished the test though, I noticed more pencil writing, and it said in Kanji "Nippon jin" then in hiragana "su ka?" Idk what happened to the "de", maybe it doesn't matter, I haven't studied enough. And so I SCREAMMED!!!!!!! in my head, and wrote back "Iie, demo nihongo o naraimasu." and I'm eagerly waiting a response! Yeah...it made ME happy!

まるかいをいきましょう!!
まるかいとみつわはいちばんですよ!!
Irony rules the world.
http://www.msplinks.com/MDFodHRwOi8v...order="0" alt=
Proud to be a Japanophile--that is, if you know what the word REALLY means.
Fellow Japanophiles:
RetroGamer77
MMM
Kireikoori
Akoni
Amnell