View Single Post
(#100 (permalink))
Old
typing (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker8880231 View Post
I hate to tell alot of you guys this but teaching English in Japan isn't a career you can do the rest of your life. Teaching English is usually a one to two year commit and thats it. Most people dont even stick with it that long anyway most give up and go home. English teachers dont get paid enough to make a living out of it. There is no way you can support a family on an English teachers salary. Good luck finding a job to since NOVA went out of business there are alot of unemployed English teachers who are fighting for what little positions there are. Since the demand for a job is high in teach English they can pay you whatever they want. The housing they offer through JET is crap. JET usually puts you in the cheapest place they can find and dont be surprised if its infested with something. Most people only teach English when they get out of college because they havent really decided what they wanted to do with their lives yet at least that is the reason my friend did it.
Well I wouldn't go that far...

Teaching in general can be a bit like Babysitting at times. And teaching English simply because you can speak English makes it moreso like that.

Which is why it can seem like a job that you can't do forever. A lot of people do work at these jobs for 10-20 years or their whole life. You can make a living off of it and support your family off of it (One of my ex-co-workers has taught at an Eikaiwa for 10 years and has just bought a very nice house, he supports his only part time working wife and three children)

It depends on what you want.

If you're coming to Japan to make a quick buck and to see an exotic country then yes, teaching is going to just be a stepping stone in your life and you'll quit within 6 months to a year. Possibly 2 years if something goes wrong or you simply enjoy it.

If you're coming with the desire to, you know, teach. Chances are you'll be able to find a school or Eikaiwa that is perfect for you and your goals, and will be able to support yourself just fine.

When it comes to money though you have to be a little more careful in Japan than you might be at home. Because you're far away and in a new place wanting to experiance things it's easy to spend money like it isn't yours. I pay for my cell, an apartment and my food costs and I still send home 100,000¥ (1,000$) each month at minimum. But it's just as easy that I can accidently blow that money. Go out to the bar or a club? 100$ Pull an all nighter in Roppongi? 200-300$ decide to have an Akihabara day? 100-200$
If I decide to just go out every weekend and have a good time I'm looking at 400$ per month at minimum.

Even not going there, if I decide to be lazy and just eat out for every single meal I'm looking at a whopping 20-30$ per day.

Once you get used to living here you'll be able to save, and live just fine. But once again it depends on you and your own priorities.

I have great faith in fools -- self confidence my friends call it. -- Edgar Allan Poe