View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
jacobf (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to jacobf Send a message via MSN to jacobf Send a message via Yahoo to jacobf Send a message via Skype™ to jacobf
Tips for those using Remembering the Kanji - 03-31-2009, 05:32 AM

Hello guys, I am going to give some tips for those of you using Remembering the Kanji which may help you out!

The first thing that I would recommend you do is download a program called Wakan. The website is here: WaKan Project Website - About . It will help you out greatly in the long run.

After downloading that, I recommend you bookmark this site:
The Jouyou Kanji
We will use this in a bit.

The way that I have been using this method is with flash cards, you can choose any way that you would like, but let me explain to you my method:

The first thing I do is draw the kanji out on the blank side of the index card, after that, I will put the number that it is in Heisig's book in the top left corner (for example, I would write out δΈ€, then put 1 in the top left corner).

After doing this, flip the card over to the lined side. Using Wakan, search for the kanji (you can easily find it by searching for things by stroke order + radicals). Using Wakan, write down the meanings, onyomi, and kunyomi.

Then, after using Wakan, go back to Remembering the Kanji and write down the stroke order on the lined side (I am doing this in the upper-right corner).

After writing down the stroke order, write down the story or information that Heisig gives you. (I am doing this at the bottom of the lined-side). Also be sure to write down what the kanji means when it is used as a primitive.

Lastly, I will go to the second website linked above (The Jouyou Kanji) and search for the kanji. If it shows up on there in one of the lists from Grade 1 - Grade 6 and Secondary School Kanji, I put a check under the number (on the blank side). If it is being added, I put two checks instead of one. If it is being removed, I put a circle. And lastly, if it is used in names, I put a check in the bottom-left corner instead of under the number.

This has been helping me out quite a bit, and I hope that it can go on to help others.

I will add more things as I do them. Until then, let me know what works for you or if you like my method.

Thanks!

EDIT:
Here is a mockup of my flash cards in Photoshop.

Last edited by jacobf : 03-31-2009 at 05:42 AM.