View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-23-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesselt View Post
"The highest rate of divorce in the 2001 survey was 41 percent for men who were then between the ages of 50 to 59, and 39 percent for women in the same age group."

Taken from The New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2005/04/19/health/19divo.html
But how many of those are on a second, or third marriage, which also has a higher rate of divorce?

Quote:
You're asking valid questions, but there's no need to act hostile.
Hostile? I don't think I did anything hostile. I did not insult him, and only asked the most basic questions I hope his parents, friends, and teachers are asking him now.
Quote:
Perhaps he has plans for everything already? It's really easy to judge young engaged couples without knowing anything about them, but we should give him the benefit of the doubt.
Plans for everything? He came to a forum to ask about married life to a bunch of strangers. I would give the benefit of doubt in the opposite direction.

Quote:
To answer the OP's question; I've never been married in Japan, but I imagine that it's not much different from being married and living in a western country. If you plan on living in Japan I would start learning Japanese and plan on attending a University there after you are able to. If you are going to be living together (as opposed to with her parents) then I would expect it to be very tough. You would need to get a full time job (you wont be able to get a very good one without a college degree) to afford your rent, which is going to make school very difficult as well. Another option would be to just work while she goes to school, then begin school after she has finished and has a job.
Researchers say that the small drop in the overall divorce rate is caused by a steep decline in the rate among college graduates. As a result, a "divorce divide" has opened up between those with and without college degrees, said Dr. Steven P. Martin, an assistant professor of sociology at the University of Maryland.

(From your same article)

If the desire is to live your life with your girlfriend, why handicap yourself and your future family by not going to college when you can?

If the desire is to live in Japan, again, graduate from high school, go to college, and go. Japan isn't going any where.