(#33 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-18-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaymore View Post
In the USA, other than living in a large metro area, you pretty much can't get anywhere from anywhere easily without a car. You pretty much need a car for anything you want to do. Add to that the US zoning law tendencies that typically do not allow businesses in residential neighborhoods... and you need a car to go shopping for almost anything.
I think that while this is partially true, it also falls into the "misconceptions of Japan" trap...

Big cities in Japan have very efficient public transportation systems, I agree. However I think that people jump to conclusions. When I lived in the US, there was never a time when I lived outside bicycle distance of shopping/etc. Everywhere I lived or visited long term there had crappy public transportation, if any at all... But on the other hand, even with zoning issues I was never more than 20 minutes by bicycle away from groceries, shopping, etc.

The thing is, no one wants to ride a bicycle. No one wants to walk - unless they`re forced into by living in a big city where it would be too hard to keep a car. If people actually wanted to move around other than in their cars, I think that things would change...

Obviously, there are going to be exceptions where you really CAN`T go anywhere without a car - but the exact same thing can be said for Japan. Not everyone lives in a big city. One of our friends lives in an area where it would take 2 hours by bicycle to shopping - And there is one bus a week (Saturday morning at 8am, returning at 6pm). Despite being a fairly large residential area the only shopping within bicycle distance is a little shop run by an old woman which stocks snacks and ice cream. He was just telling us that they finally made a convenience store within 20 minutes by car.

My own husband is from somewhere similar. He`d never ridden a bus or train until he went to high school - no one in that area could survive without a car.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.