View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Salvanas (Offline)
Great, just my luck.

06-01-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Well, in my case I`d be more likely to die for a random person on the street than my parents, but I am guessing that is irrelevant. Even if my parents were the most loving and wonderful people - I still wouldn`t sacrifice my own life for them. There simply isn`t enough merit in it for me even if it were my child. Die knowing they`d live on? Even if I love them to death, it wouldn`t matter as I would be dead.
You see, my view on this one is that my parents have always told me "If you ever died, we would kill ourselves. Because we live for you". Now, regardless if that's true or not, that's a different matter. But, if I kill myself saving them, then they'll just kill themselves anyways, and I'd have died in vain.

Quote:
I think that in such a situation, or a similar one in real life - reflex would rule all. The chance you`re going to weigh logic against emotion is very very low.
At least I can say I`m pretty sure that is the case for me. If I could reach out and save someone, reflex is going to likely push me to do so - regardless of the effect that person`s survival will have on others and the future.

ETA;
Then again - now with a bit of thought - in such a situation I figure I`d be calm enough to think it out. I`ve done the "self or child" bit, and had no hesitation about choosing myself over child... And felt pretty devoid of emotion at the time.
I've had an experience where I had to make a decision, a life taking/saving one, and it's unbelievable how time seems to slow down at that point, causing you to be able to think it through.

If someone's ever been on the edge of dieing before, they'd (most probably) understand what I mean. Time seems to slow down.

- “I've been lucky. I'll be lucky again.” -