Thread: New Moon
View Single Post
(#48 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The book is a piece of fiction, drawing from myths - which are also fiction.

I have not read the book, nor do I feel any particular desire to. But fiction is fiction. It`s not quite the same as comparing a book and movie. One is not an adaptation of another.

It`s silly to bash something because it draws from some traditional source yet changes something. Both the source and the result are fictional. An author should be free to receive inspiration from wherever they please. Just as a reader should be free to like or dislike the end product.

Seriously though, to judge an book/movie based upon the simple fact that they didn`t follow some traditional formula to the letter makes me laugh. Especially when it is such a common thing to do - drawing from traditional myths and changing things is one of the more common themes in literature.
If you'd read it better, I said that Twilight was messing with today's generation head with this new vampire crap. A mythology is meant to remain as it is, not to be changed by a person just because she uses it with a shitty love story.

Leave aside vampires, if someone made a movie with greek mythology, screwed it up and it was so popular to screw up all today's generation minds that everybody learns it as it is in the movie.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?