View Single Post
(#109 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuglife View Post
This is why the system sucks sooooo hard. People coming over to teach like it's some kind of meal ticket. Go work at Lawson to get your train pass and you and your friend keep staying where you are now. A selfish AJET is a nasty creature indeed.

I'm not attacking you. I'm attacking your blindingly selfish thought process. Japan, sadly, lets people like you get to fulfill your backpacker dreams.

Recently the local AJET's are of far higher quality than before. Market saturation and NOVA's collapse have helped to improve the quality and quantity of the "Teacher Pool".
I hate it when people make assumptions. Ever think that she and her friend are genuinely interested in teaching in Japan or would like to try their hands out at it? That aside, last I looked, unless mixing her up with another user, and I'm sure I'm not, she's been to Japan before and is well-informed about it for the most part. She wouldn't be your "backpacker" like you're assuming imo. She's also not American; she is from Australia and I can assume her friend is as well. At least she knows there's more to the country than just Tokyo.

I don't see anything wrong with what she asked. What's wrong with wanting to teach with a friend or with someone you know nearby? At least with that you'll have your own personal support system. The same can be said for couples who want to teach in Japan, but would like to be near one another if both get a job there. I don't see what's wrong with wanting to apply to something with a friend, where there's more of a chance of them ending up in the same area. Seems that the Eikaiwa choices would work better with this as opposed to something as unpredictable as JET.