View Single Post
(#177 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-04-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
In an attempt to lighten the mood, here is an honest question to Mercedesjin...
How do you view (most likely heterosexual) women who do indeed feel that men should be the workers / the bread winners / defenders of the women - while the women devote more time and attention to the home and to children? How about women who feel that the man is and should be in control in a relationship and who are completely willing to take the subservient role?

I am honestly curious about your opinion when this is a choice made by the woman.
My first reaction is repulsion. I immediately feel like these women are both victims to an oppressive system and people who willingly promote an oppressive system. To me, willing choices reflect how a person has been conditioned to think and act by society. (For example, a sexist man who has been raised to think that women are inferior can make the choice to rape a woman, in the same way that a woman who has been raised to think that women are inferior can make the choice to stay at home.)

There are women who are conscious of the idea that they are somehow inferior, and think that women belong in the house. They promote this idea to men and women they encounter - and, even worst, to their children if they ever have any. Because they also spread the idea that women are inferior, I see them not only as victims but as oppressors.

Those are my initial thoughts... but then I'm also a little curious. I'd want to know WHY these women think that their place is in the household, and why they think they're inferior to men. I'd want to know why these women think that they need a man to go out and make money, to protect them, etc.

LOVE: pass it on