View Single Post
(#85 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
By this logic, because I perceived discrimination from the Chinese restaurant owner, I should be able to sue him for damages. We go to trial and he says "No, the other table called their order in first, so that's why they were served first." And I would reply "But I felt discriminated against." And the judge would rule in my favor, and the Chinese chef would have to pay me.

This "logic" means I am responsible not only for my actions, but your feelings. That just doesn't work in my eyes.
That's just a serious difference between us, I guess. I feel that going to court is a pretty serious action that not many people take, and a pretty extreme example - but if you wanted to, and you had enough proof to show why you were discriminated against, then sure - you'd have a case. I'm not arguing that "Because I felt this way," would be a good argument. Like I said before, you'd have to show why you felt that way.

People are responsible for others feelings, in my view. Anything that I do can and will affect others. Me saying one thing could change a person's view on the world - negatively or positively. I've heard stories of people killing themselves because they've been bullied too much. I've heard of people who have to move to different states or schools because they've been bullied too much. So, yes - I do think it's important for a person to think about what they say, because what they say can and will affect others.

LOVE: pass it on