View Single Post
(#107 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-15-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedesjin View Post
This is a forum. It's difficult to know what kind of clothes or what kind of culture a person is in to. For that reason, people shouldn't stereotype any group of people - for the only reason that there are going to be different groups of people on this forum. I don't know if there are any Asian people on this thread, but if I say, "All Asian people speak like chin-chang-yo!" then hell yes, they have the right to feel discriminated against and stereotyped. It doesn't matter that I didn't know that they were thee.
You didn't address my point. You said YOU felt discriminated against and stereotyped by the theoreritical phrase "People that wear baggy clothes are thugs" (or something along those lines). I asked why.

Quote:
I think maybe you're assuming that my points are black and white. I think that people are responsible for others emotions, and because of that, should also explain different situations or circumstances if it turns out that they've offended another person. If I were sitting at a table - regardless of race - I'd be upset to see another person served first, and I'd want to know why. I don't think it's difficult to explain that someone called in first.
And I said what if I think he is lying. Is the chef still responsible for my feelings?

Quote:

If you show me a person that has never cried in all of their life, then I'll believe your argument that people learn to cry or not cry when in pain.
That's a cop-out answer because you know people can control their emotions. You said on another thread that men are taught not to cry in front of other men. Babies cry because that's the only means of communication they have. It goes from a reflexive to learned behavior. This is fundamental psychology.

Treating Crying Children Properly

So when someone says "You made me cry" what they are really saying is "I am allowing myself to be so affected by you that I cry".

Quote:
It's possible that you could be a murderer. People have gone to trial for bullying others to death.
So if I call you a "dummy", and you kill yourself, I am a murderer?

I can understand the "bullied to death" trials, but do you know what the conviction rate is? How many people actually are found guilty of murder. In the only cyber-bullying case the lady is appealing, but she was being charged with something other than murder. I don't know the answer to this either.

Quote:
My argument is that no one should attack others, and that people are responsible for others feelings. If your girlfriend killed you, I wouldn't think she was right because she also attacked you. She could simply communicate about the pain that you caused her, you could apologize to her, and she could choose to stay with you or to move on. Attacking another person, verbally or physically, doesn't need to be in that equation.

I'll say again that my argument isn't black and white. I agree with you that there is a point when people can't be responsible for others feelings. I think back to the example I gave before, where the girl had assumed that the boy beside her had been talking about her behind of his back. He wasn't, and because of her own insecurities, she attacked. That's an instance when I say that logic should be more important than emotion. However, if someone were to say to me that I'm black, so I should be a slave - that I'm a woman, so I'm inferior to men - then yes, I'd feel attacked, and that person would be responsible for the pain I feel.
I can agree with you on these statements.