View Single Post
(#108 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-15-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You didn't address my point. You said YOU felt discriminated against and stereotyped by the theoreritical phrase "People that wear baggy clothes are thugs" (or something along those lines). I asked why.

And I said what if I think he is lying. Is the chef still responsible for my feelings?

That's a cop-out answer because you know people can control their emotions. You said on another thread that men are taught not to cry in front of other men. Babies cry because that's the only means of communication they have. It goes from a reflexive to learned behavior. This is fundamental psychology.

Treating Crying Children Properly

So when someone says "You made me cry" what they are really saying is "I am allowing myself to be so affected by you that I cry".

So if I call you a "dummy", and you kill yourself, I am a murderer?

I can understand the "bullied to death" trials, but do you know what the conviction rate is? How many people actually are found guilty of murder. In the only cyber-bullying case the lady is appealing, but she was being charged with something other than murder. I don't know the answer to this either.

I can agree with you on these statements.
I felt discriminated against and stereotyped against because I am a part of the culture that wears baggy clothes. He didn't know that - but that doesn't matter. I already explained why.

No, he isn't responsible. As I explained, it's not black and white. There are different levels of responsibility.

I'm sorry... how is that a cop out answer? What do crying babies have to do with the fact that when people feel pain, they cry? Babies are on completely different psychological levels than older men and women - which is what, I'm assuming, we've been talking about for the past few pages. I haven't been arguing about toddlers. I'm arguing about the fact that when people - ADULTS - feel pain, they cry. It's a fact. It's not even up for debate. I've seen it. You've seen it. No need to get stuck on this point.

As I said before, there are different levels of responsibility. It's not black and white. For example, if you called someone a dummy maliciously, while knowing that the person was highly unstable, suicidal, and depressed - and did it to see if they'd hurt themselves - then yes, you'd be responsible. On the other hand, if you didn't know that the person was unstable and suicidal, then it wouldn't be completely your fault - though you, obviously, shouldn't have insulted the person in the first place. Nothing is black and white. People kill others for different reasons, and people who kill aren't always considered murderers. There are instances of self-defense. In the same way that the idea of "murderers" isn't black and white, so is the idea of responsibility for what one says and does to others.

LOVE: pass it on