Thread: Bullying
View Single Post
(#110 (permalink))
Old
Aether (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Aether
07-16-2009, 01:49 AM

I've seen a lot of debate about what it is to bully in this thread, so to preface my post, I would like to quickly define what I see bullying as. I would broadly define bullying as verbally and/or physically abusing an other or others repeatedly to exhibit dominance with the stipulation that the context should be kept in mind. For example, I would not consider two friends who have a habit of playfully punching each other on the shoulder bullies (in ordinary circumstances), but I would consider a person who frequently calls others names and fights people who they know will not fight back a bully.

With that definition established, I can thankfully say that I have not experienced being a bully or being bullied. However, I do recognize the seriousness of the matter. I realize that being bullied can push a person beyond their limits and cause them to retaliate back or even commit suicide. As such, I've have made a vow with myself that if I see someone being bullied, I will do what I can to assist that person.

Regrettably, I do not know any strong methods to stop bullying itself if I were to encounter it. If there are some ideas of how to stop another or oneself from being bullied, I would be glad to hear it. (Besides ignore it, I see that as one of the worst possible ideas.)

Last edited by Aether : 07-16-2009 at 01:58 AM.