View Single Post
(#173 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-22-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuki18 View Post
You have to be kidding me. That's the same as saying bums have no right to get food or shelter, because they can't pay for it.
Do "bums" have the "rights" to fine wines and New York steaks? Anime and manga are "luxury items" and stealing them makes you a thief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimoorh View Post
has anyone considered this: that Anime and Manga have such a mainstream presence now (outside of Japan) because of rampant piracy?
Making the pirates into Robin Hoods is a very romantic idea if the publishers were rich kings with more money than they knew what to do with. Sadly these "Robin Hoods" are putting the "kings" out of business.

Quote:
Do companies honestly think that the huge audience they now cater to would have existed if they continued with their pathetic (often non-existant) advertisement? That cult series would've had such an impact (thus translating into direct DVD/ Manga sales) had word of mouth not preached the Western audiences?
I think you are talking about fansubs and scanlations here. These are fine and great until the title is licensed. This isn't what I am talking about.

Quote:
This is a two edged sword. People will always argue about the morals of downloading animes illegally and the companies suffering, but these same companies have also gained a lot by buying out the rights to potentially hit series because the community was already buzzing about it when that anime aired in Japan.

Adapt to the changing market or die out, Netflix and iTunes are living proof of this. The movie & tv industry didn't vanish because people started recording on VCRs. Neither did the music industry when Napster hit.

Kudos to Crunchyroll and studio execs who're actually making significant strides by providing quality content with easy access.
I agree adaptation needs to happen, but that doesn't excuse illegal DLing. You can try all you like to make it right in your head, but it is literally killing an industry that is already on thin ice.

Last edited by MMM : 07-22-2009 at 03:37 PM.