(#57 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Thank you for sharing that, Nyororin. That is an incredible story, and I am glad I resisted my urges to close this thread earlier.
The really sad thing is that they`re in no way an exception. It is in no way a rare story. This sort of thing was honestly happening all over Japan.
Obviously there were crazy guys out there who raped and pillaged, who got a kick out of hurting others. This sort of thing doesn`t excuse those sorts of actions at all.
But I think that because of the horrors committed by one segment of the Japanese army, people forget that the majority were just regular guys - most of them untrained, most of them not wanting to be there - who were fighting to the death because they didn`t want to die, and if they did at least they would have died trying not to.

When great-grandmother heard the war had ended, and about the bombings - she apparently collapsed crying why hadn`t they done it sooner, why hadn`t they done it a year earlier. (Almost all of them died in the last year of the war when things were desperate.)
I think that most of the Japanese population knew they were losing, knew there was no hope, but really had no power to do anything.

ETA;
I forget where it is, but there is a really depressing museum about this sort of thing. It`s sort of like the "museum of the unwilling soldier", and has a huge collection of art, music, poetry, etc done by those who were sent off to war, from before the war. All of the contributors died in battle.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-06-2009 at 07:07 AM.