View Single Post
(#53 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-05-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai007 View Post
Did the left shake hands after Bush won in 2000? Or when he won again in 2004? Heck no. Now the shoe is on the other foot, and Obama should expect the same resistance Bush got from beginning to end.

As for what I feel Obama would have said, I think he'd have pushed his agendas on a variety of subjects, including socialized medicine, environmentalism, etc. I think it would have been a soft-sell, aimed at a younger audience, not a fiery hard-sell campaign style speech, but still full of assumptions about what Obama believes and is pushing for. I think he was going to ask kids to get involved in these issues in some way, which is what the homework was referring to. I think he would have couched things in terms that young kids couldn't see through, such as "socialized medicine just wants to help poor people who get sick..." Never mind whether there are better free-market ways to accomplish that goal, he'd leave kids to believe that opposing his plan means you must want poor people who get sick to suffer and die... an impression I'm sure he's only too happy to instill, since they say as much in their rhetoric to adults too.
Both 2000 and 2004 were controversial elections, in that it wasn't clear initially who had won, where in this election the results were much more clear.

I really find it hard to believe you think he would try to push a political agenda on 6 year olds. Children can't vote, so there is no point in talking about health care with them. On the other side, it would essentially be political suicide to do such a thing.

"Helping the president" is not a bad thing. It doesn't matter if you like him or not, helping is always good. It doesn't mean "helping him get his way".

I won't repeat what I wrote earlier about this question, but I guess it is an indicator of the decent job he is doing if such a minor---no---such a non-issue can be whipped up into a such a firestorm of hot air.