View Single Post
(#188 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-11-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
I think the president has some say in his press releases, but even if it didn't come from the president directly, it did from his office, which is his agenda. To think someone can just blast whatever to the nation without any kind of approval from his office is foolish. Only when it started to look bad was when he had it cancelled. Then refusing to release what the harmless speech was supposed to be, is again going to galvanize. No one truley know where it really originated, no one ever does or will and those are facts. No misrepresentation.
Actually it didn't come from his office, but the office of the Dept. of Education.

"What can you do to help the president?" is an innocuous question. I really like your retelling of accounts: "only when it started to look bad" and you and samurai love the "refused to release the speech" bit. The White House did release the speech in advance.

Please keep in mind that demanding that the president release his speeches to the public in advance is not protocol or common. It was not a "refusal" to release the speech. He did release it in advance, didn't he?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
Again that doesn't matter. The president is responsible for what his staff does and for tellling or not telling them what his agenda.

Last I heard/read the assignment was simply retracted as to calm things down.
Yes, the president is responsible. He took responsibility and corrected the situation to satisfy conservative outcry. He did 100% of what the conservatives asked of him in this situation. What more do you want?