View Single Post
(#216 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintjm View Post
This is bad? Thats sounds like he is doing his job.
He is doing his job. And he can sleep at night...something I would not be able to do if I were him.

Quote:
Its not just the president, its the government in general.
To not have a check in your government officials only leads to ruin.

"The Problem(s)" as you put can also be said for government and up to the highest office. 1) Blind Trust 2) Hang on every word.
I agree with you. But on the other hand Blind Mistrust and Condemning every word can not only be just as bad, it can be worse.

LIMBAUGH: He is lying, President Obama is, from the moment he opens his mouth until he ends the speech.

LIMBAUGH: If you want to talk about demeaning the chamber, the president of the United States demeaned the chamber last night. He showed up and lied through his teeth. He was petulant, he was mean-spirited, he was angry, he was arrogant, conceited, condescending, but more than anything else, he lied through his teeth. And everybody knows it.

This in not investigative language, this is divisive language. There is no fact checking and counter-pointing. It is just sweeping accusations...not even accusations. These are sweeping statements based on nothing but Rush Limbaugh's desire to get payed. He is the Insane Clown Posse of right-wing punditry, though he is more successful.

Quote:
Of course they have to have fact checks... this is how they stay on the air. They have to have responsibility or they will lose face. This is why people listen. They present what they believe to be the facts for the information that can be backed up.

How else did Van Jones get canned? This is why the people stood up to the recent government spending of buying over half a billion on new jets while scolding others for not flying commercial.
I noticed you didn't address any of the quotes I put up from Rush Limbaugh. Those statements are not fact-checked and are not factual.

I agree that investigative reporting is essential and government corruption should be exposed and broadcast. I will keep my opinions of Van Jones to myself, but his idiocy was exposed and he was forced to go. That is the right thing to have happen.

Quote:

Its a fact that presidents and governments have lied before.
Corruption will always exist.
And it government and presidents will lie again. That's not my point.

Quote:
With this line of thinking you might as shut down the internet of any type public communication.
You said With this line of thinking you might as shut down the internet of any type public communication.

Where that came from I have no idea. Taking the idea that non-journalistic broadcasters should take responsibility for their words and turning that into "shut down the Internet" is a slippery slope on a hill I was no where near.

Quote:
That has to be one of the most ridiculous views I've seen in a while.
Do you really think that a talk show host made Joe Wilson yell "you lie" at an inappropriate time?

Do you really believe the majority of people are being brained washed by talk show hosts and can't decide for themselves based on what they believe to be true? You don't believe anyone does a fact check on what they hear or read in such a forum?
I don't think it is ridiculous. People like Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly have worked for many hours a day to help create a culture where disrespecting not just the man, but the office of the president is not only OK and normal, but is patriotic. And not only the president, but all elected officials.

To broadcast that the president wants to tear apart the Constitution with such fervor...is there no responsibility? I don't know how many times he has said it, but it was more than once on Thursday...I would be surprised to hear that is the first time.

Quote:
Did you bother to ask the person you were talking to why she hated Obama so much? Its seems odd that you think because one can lose the respect for the office of the president is lack of common sense. There are many reasons why one could with any of the most recent presidents. Because of the promises and track record of the current president one could lose respect. To think this is a lack of common sense is nonsense.
Of course I did. I signed a petition on Facebook which led to several people attacking me. She was one of them. When I asked the question suddenly she was tired and needed to go to bed (there were other questions I had she couldn't answer). There are corrupt police. Does that mean all police shouldn't be trusted? Some coaches and teachers molest their students. Does that mean all teachers and coaches are not trustworthy? Some troops in Iraq have committed crimes...does that mean we shouldn't support our troops?

Quote:
Thanks to the freedoms allowed in America, we can. I think these shows make us think for ourselves and get the real facts.

If people blindly listen to these hosts or government without their own fact checks or thinking for themselves, then they are fools.

(Rush doesn't smoke anymore and that the golden EIB mic).
Okay now I'm just pushing buttons.. He does come off as a vain guy, but thats his gig. No one should believe what
You think Rush Limbaugh gives you the real facts? These are all political entertainment shows. I agree with you, people need to search for the facts on their own. Unfortunately the vast majority of people don't do that. Is that Rush's fault? No, of course not. But if they did he would probably be out of a job.

Last edited by MMM : 09-12-2009 at 03:34 AM.