View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-22-2009, 10:01 PM

To be honest, I hate those covers. They absolutely ~scream~ "cheap Ameri-manga trying too hard". Also, you're trying to sell what boils down to an autobiography. As far as I feel as a consumer, I'm only going to buy the life story of someone if a) I've actually heard of them before (which in this case, I haven't) and b) If I haven't, and I'm paying, there's something truly outstanding about their life. "My Sister's Keeper", for example.

With all respect to you, because I can see it's a lot of work and takes a lot of courage to launch something like this, I think I've seen this exact sort of story before, many times. What's more i've seen it for free with better presentation. There is absolutely no way i'd put money on this product.

In another respect, it just doesn't appeal to me personally. As a character you say is 22, that image on the cover just isn't believable to me (I'm 22). 'Ninjababeez?" "Ninjaness"; they sound like names for Bratz dolls. I'm not interested in that. If i'm going to read about a 22 year old, in a 'real-life' story, i want to see something actually approaching the real-life of a 22-year-old, not adventures in pre-teen cartoons (which i realize is a bizarre thing to have to say, considering this is supposed to be an auto-biography).
What I mean to say is, books for 13 year olds star 13 year olds, and books for post-grads star people 22-30. This almost feels like a book for young teens with an over-aged character in it.

I didn't finish the blurb because I lost interest with all your little copy-marks and the vagueness of the blurb. It feels like a sell; a frame to pitch merchandise from and that's hugely off-putting. It isn't even polished enough to pretend it isn't a sell! Some of the most popular anime around are exactly that; props to advertise the merch, but it's so well done most people don't mind.

Finally, you say that "It's suppose to be unique in its own way as well as the art style format, etc." but that's only well and good if it doesn't look naff. Also, manga fans don't necessarily have degrees in art appreciation. We buy manga if it looks pretty, not because it's art for arts sake. Cubism is wonderful in it's rightful place, but it would make Sailor Moon look pretty unappealing. I'm glad that you're being supported so well by a network, but don't be blinkered by them either. They're not the people who will be buying. That will be the general public, and we WILL categorize, and compare, whatever the 'artists' think. Moreover, There are only so many degrees you can step away from mainstream Japanese manga style before it stops being manga. You're still there, which is good, if that's how you want to brand, but it's clearly not Japanese, and it won't convince many people otherwise.

I hope, despite all i've said, that you get some success with your efforts. I think you've been wise to ask for comments and criticisms pre-release, and to take what's been said so far with such aplomb. Good luck, and even if it doesn't work as a strict biography, there's no reason why it can't simply be a story inspired by your own experiences. Play with it more; you're lucky to have the backing to get you there, all you really need now is the book to let them take off with.