Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
09-23-2009, 02:40 AM

Alrighty, here we go:

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyukisama
I am a full time manga artist, author, illustrator, and a Japanese-English voice actor
No you aren't. "Full-time" means you do it for at least 40 hours a week, and support yourself solely from the money you earn doing that job. Judging by the rest of this thread, and the work you have shown us, this is not the case. My advice is to not advertise as something you aren't. In the professional world, it's good to talk yourself up a little, but you have to be modest or people will resent you and look for ways to tear you down off your high horse. Just be careful.

Quote:
NinjaRokk Animations Studios
Again, you say "Animation Studios", but I doubt sincerely that such a studio exists. Actually, it says "studioS", plural, meaning there is a collection of professional studios. I've ran several searches online and have found no such company, studio, or professional group by that name.

Quote:
I just need some opinions on a manga project that I am currently working on back at my studio called Miyuki no Tokyo Monogatari Series which translates to Miyuki's Tokyo Tale. It's a story based on my life and experiences living in Tokyo, though it contains mostly fictional events.
You're asking for opinions. You're going to get them. JF is a very welcoming community, but it is also home to adults and matured individuals who will offer sincere advice and feedback (some of us are or have been professional designers, artists, illustrators, etc, including myself). I'll get to this later.

Also, to be fair, guys, she's saying it's "based" on her live and experiences, so it's probably not exactly biographical.

Quote:
I would like to know if any of you were to come across this series, by chance, would you be interested in reading it or maybe pick up a paperback copy?
"Pick up" means "buy", so when you say
Quote:
You know, I never said that this book was for sale
, what do you think you mean?

Quote:
Manga Studios and CS4 Adobe Photoshop Illustrator program that is yet to be ready for publishing:
Meaning what? You haven't finished downloading and cracking them yet?

Quote:
Anyway, I just want to know if anyone would read it based on the cover page and maybe give me some opinions on my art style, characters, storyline, etc.
You asked, we provided. And, as evidenced below, you acted like a baby about it:

Quote:
Your opinions and criticism on this project is duly noted.
I do not think that word means what you think it means. Because you are being rude.

Quote:
However, I already am aware of all this therefore that is why I am asking for a third person's opinion.
What? No you aren't! If you were already "aware" of everything I took a while to think of and type for you, then I wouldn't have had to type it in the first place and your manga would be a more respectable piece of work.

Quote:
You don't have to support this project though many of my network who appreciate art for art agree that this is unique in style and therefore shouldn't be categorized into a certain standard.
Translates as, "I don't care if you don't like it! My friends and family like it! So nyeah!!". Appreciate art for art... so I'm assuming your "network" is several teenagers like yourself who say they love art but only get to museums once every decade or so? Not many people at your age range appreciate "art for art's sake", and your manga certainly is not "art for art's sake". Again, I do not think that means what you think it means.

Quote:
Everything in this project is up for debate. That's all it is. So I won't take it personally.
lol, okay, so stop taking it personally. Everything is up for debate, you say? I just debated it and you brushed off the advice of a seasoned professional. Not smart, my friend, not smart.

Columbine, you wrote a marvelous post, one which I applaud. Your insight is fantastic and your advice is solid as a rock. Yet, unfortunately, this is where the OP starts acting like a baby...

Quote:
You know, I never said that this book was for sale, I only asked if anyone would be interested in reading or picking up an edition based on the prototype.
Yes you did. See above.

Quote:
However, the story remains as is since it is my story and you don't have to like it.
Bawww.... So don't ask for advice!

Quote:
and I'm determined to pursue this project to its fullest extent whether the public audience apprecates it or not.
"I was fishing for compliments but all I got was constructive criticism so screw you guys I'm gonna go do what I wanna do anyway!"

Quote:
Japanese, Korean, Chinese, American manga, anime, cartoon, comics, and whatever, they are all the same to me
All the same to you? Then you'd better get on that and figure out the differences, kid, cuz they are VASTLY dissimilar. "Art appreciation", eh?

Quote:
This is my story, my art work, my projects, and I'm proud of it.
Nobody said they weren't yours or you shouldn't be proud of them. We're trying to help you make them better. Apparently you only wanted us to sing your praises and tell you how awesome you are. In the real world? Not gonna happen. If you want that go to your mom, she'll always provide that kind of support. Professionals don't, and people on the internet CERTAINLY don't. JF is a much safer place than any other forum I've come across, but you need to learn to take criticism if you want to be anything more than just a kid who draws little animoo and mango pictures.

Quote:
My collection prints are my accomplishments and people do actually buy them not because of the design but for what it stands for.
"Collection prints"? What does that even mean? It's just three or four poorly drawn and Photoshopped images you took into a free merchandise-creation store on the internet and slapped onto every conceivable piece of merch you could. I did that, too, when I was like 14. Except when I did it, it was a variety of fun and interesting images. But this isn't about me, it's all about you, as you've made clear.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm open to all criticism and comments
No, you really aren't.

Quote:
but please don't insult my work people.
What a hypocritical statement. Nobody's insulting your work, you buffoon. We're giving you really good criticism and advice on how to improve. Obviously you don't want to improve, you just want people to tell you how great you are because you have a sneaking suspicion that you're stuff is not up to snuff, and you don't think you have what it takes to improve, so you want justification that how you are now is good enough to make it. Guess what?

Quote:
most of the art work is sitting in my portfolio.
It shouldn't be there. They're just logos and characters in the same pose over and over, hastily colored in Photoshop. You should be putting still lifes and life drawings, composition studies, color models, and so forth in there.

Quote:
I just want to draw, write stories, play my guitar, make new friends who accept me for me.
Stick with your local high school.

Quote:
That's fine. I'm ready to call quits on this project.
Nooooooo!!!

Quote:
That just makes you an あほ!
Wow, so now it's degraded into attacks. In Japanese. What? There's a million better things to say, instead of just words you learned from anime. How about "バカ野郎", "くそ馬鹿", or some others? I can think of about ten different ways to insult someone off the top of my head, can you? I checked out your "script" for your manga, and I have to say that another thing that needs some work, is your Japanese.

So... I think that should just about wrap it up.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。