View Single Post
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionux View Post
I currently speak VERY LITTLE Japanese, but I plan to stay where I am until I can get a level 2 or level 1 at JLPT. Is that enough? Can I get to such a level in, for instance, 2 years of study?
As of busyness practices, are they impossible to get familiar with prior to moving?
No, I do not have a visa....
When it comes to acquiring the language, I think it would be pretty hard to achieve without actually being in Japan. Business practices - I`m sure you would study them.

The thing is, without something that sets you apart, all you`d have done would be to bring yourself closer to "standard" when compared to a native Japanese person with the same skills. Unless you are making use of a skill that cannot easily be found in the Japanese population (in most cases, language skills) it will not be easy to find a position. The minus of having to secure you a visa, and the potential for additional training... Along with the possibility of language issues (JLPT 1 still isn`t native level) will always put you at the disadvantage.
You may actually have more luck looking for a company in your home country that has offices in Japan. I actually highly recommend this as it seems to be the most common way for foreigners to come to Japan outside of English teaching.

Quote:
Would it be better for me to apply for a master's degree in Japan instead of applying to one here, or in some other European country? I understand that my chance of employment is a lot higher if I have part of my studies taken at a Japanese university, but how hard is it to be accepted at such a university?
You will need to already have the JLPT 1 or equivalent to be accepted into a Japanese university. The criteria for accepting international students is a lot different than that for native students, so you actually often have a better chance of getting into a good Japanese university than a native Japanese student.

Quote:
I REALLY am not picky AT ALL... I just want a place to live, not too far away from a large city like Osaka or Tokyo, etc... (not necessarily as distance, but as time it takes to commute.... no more then 1 hour per journey) Can I get anything at all for around the equivalent of 100.000-150.000 euro? in Yen that would be 13019890 - 19529835...
Yes, you can definitely find something - even for much much less. If all you feel you need is a 1 room, and don`t mind an older building, you can find some very cheap. The price of "used" real estate in Japan is much much lower than new, and as years go by the price falls significantly. A 10 year old building will be very cheap.
It is all up to your standards. Finding a free standing house with land would even be possible depending upon the area - although the house would likely be small and old.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.