Thread: UK - HK - Tokyo
View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-22-2009, 02:37 AM

The Imperial Palace is in the Marunouchi district of Tokyo. There are lots of offices in this part of the city, but there isn't in the way of housing. Most expats live in the Roppongi Hills area, which is upscale, and offers a variety of shops and services convenient to foreigners. The Hibiya subway line runs directly from Roppongi Hills to Marunouchi, and the ride takes 10 minutes or so.

Grocery stores do deliver, anything from fresh vegetables to bottled water. Foreign Buyers Club has a store online where you can find things from home which are not easily available in Japan.

Owning a car is a rather difficult option. Cars themselves are not expensive, but taxes, inspection, and parking are outrageous. Most apartment buildings have only 6 or 8 parking spaces in their garages, even if they have 40 or more apartments. A lottery system is used whenever a space becomes available. My GF lives in the metro area, and also works in Marunouchi. After 3 years of lottery drawings, we still haven't won a parking space.

There aren't any real golf courses in the metro area, but there are many in the surrounding areas. Chiba, Saitama, and Kanegawa all have great golf courses, though they can be quite busy on weekends. The farther you get from Tokyo, the less crowded these golf courses get.

There are a great many language schools in Tokyo where you can learn Japanese. One of the best is Meguro Learning Center, which is in the Meguro district, not far from the center of the city.

I hope the advice is helpful, but I'm sure your husband will receive most of the information he needs from the HR department of whichever company he will be working for here. Most larger companies will have a list of real estate agencies, car rental/purchase agencies, and the like.

Good luck, hopefully you'll make it in time for Hanami season.