View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
KyleGoetz (Offline)
Attorney at Flaw

12-30-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Surely it's a stylistic difference? I don't know; to me manga just look and feel categorically different to 'comic books' of the spiderman or beano ilk. Also manga can be for adults as well as children whereas comics to me are for children pretty much exclusively. Then again I also differentiate between 'western' and 'asian' manga as well. :/
But there are a number of American comics in the style of manga (big eyes, sound effects Japanese-stype, etc.). Yet we wouldn't call this "manga." See, e.g., Runaways. Heck, even X-Men has done it for years.

Plus, there is not a uniform Japanese style of comics, either, unless you mean "black and white, released weekly under a single person's name (usually)."

And you think "comics" is for kids? Does that include the Spiderman you refer to? There are plenty of comics for adults in Japan and in the US.

Heck, Marmaduke is a cartoon or comic strip, and there's no way you could consider that boring, awful crap as anything other than a comic for old people who mope around in slippers.