View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-29-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesKl View Post
I actually sympathize with the way you think, love much as sex is neither selfish or unselfish.... it is simply a way to survive, it is our body telling us that it wants to live on by passing its genes.

But if we think about love as in the feeling, then things get messy, I mean some poeple say that if you love someone you have to set them free while if you truly love someone then you want to spend every minute with that person so ... love is a contradiction or as Hubert Farnsworth once said ... I know a Paradox when I see one dammit!

But I also said that love is also a "way to survive". It bonds people and families which is required to survive because the human species can't survive alone. It's not a human invention to love a mate nor a whim, but just as much of a biological trait as sex. At least that's the most likely scenario, unless I see any evidence that love is a magical force spawned in a Disney cartoon, or something of the sort. But there is plenty of evidence for the workings of the biochemistry of romantic love, so we can only assume any "love" has to do with biochemicals. Although at that point, we could just as well say that for all human emotions; and it would be true.

My main point in saying all that is to not make the mistake of thinking love is a special or noble force. it could be if you want to see it that way, but I could say the same thing about Jesus, Allah, or the angel UFOs in Knowing (movie). I see the acceptance of ignorance in any way as a defeat for humanity. But that doesn't mean I think we should ignore or even willingly diminish "love" any more than I think we should ignore eating because some monk on a hill somewhere in India thinks it's impure.

Last edited by xyzone : 01-29-2010 at 04:57 PM.