View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

03-10-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodForsakenSoul View Post
To be honest, i think you'd make yourself look like a total douche.
While my language is harsh, i strongly believe that if you do not understand the language, you should not attempt to speak it via translated material.
In my case, the israelis I meet on daily basis, who attempt to speak Russian with me... make me want to strangle them to death. I can not describe the feeling of someone unintentionally even making fun of your language, your culture. There is no feeling more dire then the need to kill that particular person at that point.
Actually I think that's really rude, obviously this situation is different, because it's a wedding speech. As such, it would be insulting to use a language you are unfamiliar with for such and important thing.

But if people are trying to speak your language and they are trying their best to do so, as a regular thing, then I think that's it's much more polite than them just shouting at you in their own language in the hope that you'd understand. Obviously, not everyone can be an expert from the beginning, and if you made no attempt to practice you would never improve.

I can understand if it's people just reading translated material, but it can't be like that in every situation, right? Even if it is just translated, it's probably with good intentions and you don't have to be so agressive about it...