View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-15-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
That is not apparent to me. I was there about two minutes, kept seeing errors, and quit looking. And the support staff had this to say to meNote that says "most," not "all." This implies some is reviewed by no Japanese speakers for any definition of "speaker."

It suffices to say that the site is not trustworty. I'll change it to "speaks Japanese well" though.
Ah, I didn't see the addendum from the site. You make some good points that I hadn't considered in the argument and you're right, native and knowledge may not be synonymous. That's kind of what I was trying to say with Knowing not necessarily meaning you can teach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murasaki11 View Post
Instead of bashing the website maybe we should help point out the errors to them. Building a website is hard and I must say that website has the most information I've seen. They are trying. Why bash them when we can help them. Its not like its a horrible website. Those errors were just little mistakes. Missing a second letter. The site didn't seem to follow the "oo change to "ou" rule. Which in romaji, there isn't really rules because its romaji.

Their website does say that a lot of it is under construction.

The person who made the website must know a lot about Japanese because a lot of information is there. Spelling mistakes indicate that they just typed it wrong. Just like any english site, there can be mistakes they just need to be pointed out.
With all due respect, you're also a complete beginner and you yourself admitted you don't know what to be looking for to judge the value of this kind of learning website. If you had, you wouldn't have asked for a second opinion. I'm only an intermediate (maybe lower advanced) level student but I've looked at a LOT of sites and a LOT of textbooks and so have a lot of people on this site. There is a huge difference between volume of content and correctness, and volume of content and worthwhile information. This site has a moderate amount of content, but it also has a significant number of errors at a BASIC level. If it cannot manage the basics, then it should not be trusted with more complex information either. Would you trust a teacher to teach you maths if they told you 12x5 was 62? I wouldn't.

This is not to say that the site ~cannot~ or ~will not~ improve. But in it's current state, it needs much more work to make it a valuable resource for beginner Japanese students. I agree, it would be great if people could volunteer to help refine it, but there are other great websites already available.

Last edited by Columbine : 03-15-2010 at 10:08 PM.