View Single Post
(#43 (permalink))
Old
DanielSheen (Offline)
JF Regular

03-17-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am saying if you are going to take the time to learn proper pronunciation, why would you NOT learn the kana?

Again, it is easier to read kana than it is romaji. Only someone who doesn't read kana would say that isn't true.

Romaji is a crutch, and anyone who has had a broken ankle will tell you that you can't use the crutch forever. If you don't learn to walk without it, your ankle will never get stronger.

I am taking time to learn to read the kana and kanji. It takes a long time to learn to read something. I know all the kana, I can write every single one of them in the proper stroke order. I can reconize every single one of them. I can't read Japanese thougth, not fast enough to be satisfied. It would probably take me a minuite to read a whole sentance, then try to figure out what it says if I didn't know those words. What helps me learn to read is the fact that I already know the words in Japanese, so its easyer to read the words I already know.

If I would have learned to read Japanese befor mastering remembering vocab and sentance structure, I would have spent more time.

It doesn't matter which way you learn Japanese, some people like learning better ways than other. If someone wants to read romaji, let them read romaji. It depends which road you want to take. You can learn to speak fast, then work on your reading skills, you will be benifited with already knowing the language. Or you can learn to read it, without knowing what your reading means, and be a bit slower in your progressing. Because again, It doesn't take 2 weeks to learn to read. Memorise the characters yes, but actually to look at something and not have to look at every letter, you see whole words looking at it.