View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

"Spring" Pop Quiz - 03-20-2010, 06:04 AM

It's spring time here in Japan and it's also the Spring Pop Quiz time on JF, according to me. I created this hoping it would help you learn more about Japanese culture and its language. You don't have to answer all of the questions, naturally, as they require different levels of prior knowledge.

Please note that I'm putting this specifically in the Japanese language section, meaning that I would appreciate the answers in Japanese (with the exceptions of #8 and #10). Intermediate and Advanced learners are encouraged to answer those two in Japanese as well. I will post the answers in a few days.

1. When Japanese-speakers name the four seasons, which season always comes first? Just for practice, write all four in the proper order.

2. In what month does the academic year for schools as well as the fiscal year for most organizations start in Japan?

3. What is the spring's first strong gust of wind that is said to bring the season called in Japanese?

4. What is the other meaning of さくら other than the cherry (tree or blossoms)? For that meaning, the word is always written in kana.

5. What kind of meat is called 桜肉?

6. What is the word for "spring rain" and what's its exceptional reading in kana?

7. What is the other meaning of that word above? (Hint: food)

8. 「春が来る」 has two completely different meanings. Its literal meaning is obvious. What is its figurative meaning? If you're willing to, give me an example sentence using the phrase for that meaning.

9. Name a few seasonal words for spring that are used in haiku.

10. Why does the spring break please many Japanese students when it's considerably shorter than the summer break? (This is related to question #2.)

Last edited by Sashimister : 03-20-2010 at 06:12 AM.