View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Moving to a new country involves a lot more than obtaining a visa and a job. It involves new customs, new languages, new climates, etc. It also involves leaving your job, family, friends and starting pretty much from zero.

Sure, it may seem more feasible to live without visiting but how much are you saving? $2000? Once you're in Japan only to realize that you're unhappy, miserable and homesick, you've just spent $1000 on a plane ticket, $3000 on rent and furniture and you've wasted time which could have been productive at home.
That's very true, but I think if people really research and look into life abroad, maybe speak to people who live and work over there, then it's possible to make an informed choice. Learning new languages, customs etc. can be a challenge, but I think that's the thrill of it, it's something new and exciting and something that can test you as a person. Personally I'd find a job in that kind of environment more fulfilling than the same job in my home environment, solely for the challenge and the learning process, I'm sure some others would be the same. As for climate Japan has a very varied range of climates, from very hot in the south to freezing cold in the north, I'm sure there's a climate to suit everyone.

I can understand why 'starting from zero' would be very difficult for some, but then again can't it be very easy for others? A lot of the people who talk about going to Japan are young, as such they have no responsibilities like families to take care of or mortgages to pay, etc. It's easy to go straight from univerisity into a new place and career, because you're not attached to anything. It would be an emotional strain to leave your loved ones, but for some that isn't an issue.

I understand your point that one could get to Japan and loathe it, thus wasting money, time and effort, but I think if oneis sensible enough about things then it's worth the risk to just up and go without visiting first. I think the experience, the challenge, could be beneficial and it's possible the pro's could very much outweigh the cons, and if they don't you could always go home at the end of a year, even if you do say 'I'll never do that again!', but at least you have the experience.