View Single Post
(#593 (permalink))
Old
Micki (Offline)
New to JF

Cool 05-29-2010, 05:04 PM

Hello japanforum ppls.
I made a post a WHILE back asking about going to Japan. Thing is I never came back to check up on it... I am asking again because it's almost time for me to go to college. In september I'll be starting my senior year. I'll be 18 in January. So yeah, I have to get all the planning ready, because from what I have read Japan is a pretty tough country to get into.
So about me:
I am 17 y.o and am living in the Dominican Republic. I was born and lived about 12 years in U.S so english is technically a "native" language of mine. Or do they see it differently in Japan since spanish is also "native"? I also LOOK like spanish is my native language and english might of been something I picked up along the way . When I made my last post I wanted to do software engineering. I decided that I am going for Mechatronics.
I can study this at the same place I planned on studying software. At ITLA ( You can check out their page it's "itla.edu.do").
Thing is, I only get two years of education so that would be equivalent to an associate's degree right?
So let's say I complete the program, can I get into a college in New York (say, Vaughn) and do another 2 years to get a bachelor's degree?
It would be easier this way because it is easier for me to pay tuition here since I can land a better job with 0 experience, than o do it in the U.S where I will most likely be making less money.
Reason for going to Japan is that I just want to experience the country .
Not because of anime or something stupid like that. I just find the idea of Japan attractive. You know it's "different" in so many ways. And I am a firm believer that to truly understand a place/country you actually have to spend time in society, in "the real world".....socializing in said country you know?... Not in a 5 star resort that is made so foreigner's can feel more at home... What's the fun in that? So yeah sorry for asking pretty much the same question twice but I couldn't find my old post.... Any advice would be appreciated

EDIT: I'm trying to find any other colleges in N.Y that give Mechatronics but looks like Vaugn is the only one available... Looks pretty damn expensive too. I think any private would be out of the question but I don't see much community colleges, anywhere not just N.Y, with Mechatronics.

Last edited by Micki : 05-29-2010 at 06:38 PM.