View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-16-2010, 01:33 AM

I think that things need to really be split into clearer categories. Not every dinner with someone of the opposite sex is going to be the same in terms of "date-ness".

Friends, or coworkers just out eating together... I would see no problem with them splitting the bill. In fact, if the bill wasn`t split, I would expect the side that didn`t pay to pay in full next time.

"Casual" dating - as in not looking for a relationship / just getting to know each other... NOT looking for a one night stand.
I would expect the side that initiated the date to pay unless there is some agreement before to split it. If you ASK, then you should be able to afford it. If you can`t afford the date, then do not ask someone out on one.
I will NEVER forget the time a guy asked me out on a date, we went out to eat, and then he asked me to pay my part of the bill. That ended everything right there. I declined to go anywhere with him after that, and killed the relationship in the bud. If you`re so pathetic that you cannot afford to pay for a meeting you asked for - something is wrong.
Similar deal though with same-sex friends. I`ll also never forget the irritation of having a friend nearly drag me along with her to dinner so she could talk about something that was troubling her - eat tons (I had already eaten so didn`t order anything other than a drink and dessert)... And then expect me to split the bill 50/50 with her. I had virtually no money at the time, so it really irritated me. I was just dragged along so she could have dinner at half price.

If it`s clear from the start, then okay. But if you ask me to dinner and then expect me to pay for it... Umm.... No. I order differently if I know I`m the one paying - I usually keep the cost of my meal lower or at the same level as the other person`s. If I am paying for it myself, I will eat what I want as I won`t be costing someone else. Nothing sucks as bad as there being something that looks really good on the menu but costs way more than what they`re eating - so ordering something else... And then finding out in the end that they wanted to pay our own way.

For serious dating - as in more than just casually getting to know each other... The guy pays unless the girl has specifically asked him out and it is completely clear that she will be paying half or the full bill. Even then it is within the bounds of politeness for him to at least offer a few times to pay. When you both know each other`s financial situations really well and it isn`t an issue really as it is already a serious relationship then it no longer matters. The same with once you`re married - it no longer matters.
But in the beginning - I agree with MMM. Once the "date" changes from friends just going out to eat, to possibly something more... If the guy still wants to split the bill, it says that he does not want it to become "something more". Just as a guy suddenly offering to pay for my meal after we`ve split the bill a bunch of times would be a sign that he does want it to be something more, and suddenly wanting me to pay for my part would be a sign that it wasn`t working.

Casual sexual dating is a different world on it`s own, and I do agree that the guy paying for everything is pretty likely to be expecting something in return for his money. That world has it`s own rules and expectations.

In the end, if you`re taking out someone who takes advantage of you... You really only have your own tastes and poor judgement to blame.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.