View Single Post
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-16-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalnSG View Post
I am beginning to wonder if there is a serious generation gap when it comes to dating etiquette in the west from reading this.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Most of the people going "Wha-? It's not a big deal" seem to be on the younger side. Also some of the die-hard camp for "No, men should pay" argument have spent considerable time in Japan. Slight bias there maybe?

In the UK, I think it's becoming more common for the girls to be paying the bill. I mean, it's still unusual, but it's not so readily baulked at as it once was, esp. amongst the London too-hot-to-trot set. And why not? The girls get a buzz off the role reversal, and it feels powerful and sexy to pay for dinner with a man. The guys get a chance to be treated for once and well; free dinner with a girl who's interested? Interested AND hopped up on a sexy ego boost? No wonder toy-boyism is on the rise.

Anyway, if a guy can only ask me out if he can afford it, well that kind of sucks. If he ~implies~ he's got it in the bag and then back-peddles at the last moment (a la Nyororin's example) that's one thing. My ex was broke, I had a honking great scholarship. We had a great dating relationship and yes, I footed much of the bill. It certainly wasn't a factor in why we broke up. And it kind of sticks a monetary value on the relationship before it even begins and that's a little sad. As the song goes, "Can't buy me love~"