View Single Post
(#67 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2010, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
In this economy there are more two-income households than there were a few decades ago, but I think you can argue that is in many cases out of necessity and not out of desire.
In my experience it's mostly out of desire rather than necessity. Most (western) women I know are intelligent and tertiary educated and like to work if for no other reason than they find being a housewife one of the most boring things imaginable. Although they have to take some maternity leave after having a kid most I know can't wait to get back into the workforce. My own wife took about 6 months off work after we had our daughter but being at home all day being a mum was driving her nuts. She got back into work as soon as we could get our girl into day care.

I certainly have no feelings of having to be the provider simply because I'm male. I could think of nothing better than having a successful, rich wife who could keep me in a life of leisure!!

This does contrast quite starkly though to my Japanese friends. There does seem to be much more of an acceptance here by women to fulfill a more traditional role of housewife and stay at home mum than amongst western women I know.